Digital Adaptation of The COPD Caregiver’s Toolkit
- Goal 2: Improve the prevention, diagnosis, treatment, and management of COPD by improving the quality of care delivered across the health care continuum.
- Increase public awareness of the risk factors and symptoms of COPD so that earlier diagnosis of symptomatic individuals becomes the norm
- Increase the effectiveness and variety of outreach communication campaigns and activities that utilize evidence-based approaches to raise awareness of COPD, particularly among those at high risk, and help people diagnosed with COPD manage the disease
Activity DescriptionThe COPD Caregiver’s Toolkit was originally offered by the Respiratory Health Association as a collection of printed materials for informal caregivers, outpatient COPD clinics, and community health workers to share with COPD patients. (Read more about the original print product in this entry in the COPD National Action Plan Community Action Tool.)
In 2022, Learn More Breathe Better® and the Respiratory Health Association worked together to create a co-branded digital adaptation of The COPD Caregiver’s Toolkit.
The updated Toolkit includes resources to help patients and their families and caregivers learn more about COPD including signs and symptoms, home safety, tracking medications and vaccinations, and more. Modules include:
• How do I help the person I’m caring for manage COPD?
• What should I know about managing the home of someone living with COPD?
• How do I prepare for a visit to the doctor?
• How do I help after a COPD flare-up or hospital stay?
• How do I take care of myself while managing someone else’s care?
Learn More Breathe Better and the Respiratory Health Association also developed complementary resources to promote The Toolkit and raise awareness about caregiving, including:
• Drop-in article: Support for Caregivers Means Better Care for Loved Ones with COPD
• Infographic: Caring for Someone with COPD? You Are Not Alone.
• Animation: How Do I Help A Person I’m Caring for Manage COPD?
• Animation: Self-Care for Caregivers
• Graphics and sample social media posts
Cost and Funding SourcesThis activity was funded through the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute.
Impact AnalysisIn process
Advice or Lessons LearnedThis digital adaptation of what was formerly a print-only piece was developed with “sandwich-generation” caregivers in mind. In addition to the new digital format, fillable and downloadable PDF forms serve as practical tools for caregivers. A social media toolkit makes it easier for users to share the resource with others. Early user metrics show that these new features are being visited, downloaded, and shared.
- Digital adaptation of The COPD Caregiver's Toolkit
- Original print version of The COPD Caregiver's Toolkit
- Drop-in article: Support for Caregivers Means Better Care for Loved Ones with COPD
- Infographic: Caring for Someone with COPD? You Are Not Alone.
- Animation: How Do I Help A Person I'm Caring for Manage COPD?
- Animation: Self-Care for Caregivers
- Graphics and sample social media posts